Important Information

Application Procedure

The Faculty will consider an application to register for a Masters or PhD degree from anyone who meets the academic entrance requirements. For a Masters degree this is an Honours degree or equivalent. A four-year Bachelors degree that is considered equivalent to a South African Honours degree may be accepted.

Entrance requirement for registration as a PhD student is a Masters degree or equivalent. Where a candidate does not have a Masters degree, initial registration for a Masters will be required, with the possibility of upgrading to a PhD registration at the start of the second year of registration if satisfactory progress is made (see section 8.4).

International students might require certification of their degree equivalence by the South African Qualifications Authority (contact the Postgraduate Administrator in the Faculty Office for the address); the Faculty reserves the right to make a final judgement on the South African equivalence of a foreign degree.

Prospective candidates wishing to register for a PhD or a Masters by dissertation should have a discussion with the Head of Department or prospective supervisor prior to applying formally to the University via the University’s Online application process at

Only once you have some commitment from the HoD or potential supervisor should you apply formally to the University. Students from non-English speaking backgrounds may be required to take the international Toefl test. Acceptance by a Department is provisional, and you will still require formal acceptance by the Faculty of Science.

Do not arrive at UCT until you have been formally notified by the Faculty of Science that you have been accepted for postgraduate study.

Places on coursework Masters degree programmes are normally limited and applicants are accepted on a competitive basis. Students interested in applying for admission to one of these programmes should first consult the Department concerned to determine closing dates for applications, and what documentation is required. Some Departments have their own application forms. Only once you have been advised by the Department that they are willing to accept you in principle should you apply formally to the University (see above).

Click here for the Taught Masters In Applied Marine Sciences