1. UCT Science Faculty entry requirements:
For a master’s degree in the Science Faculty: A candidate entering a Master’s degree must have a BSc (Honours) degree or four-year undergraduate equivalent (i.e. a four-year degree post South African National Senior Certificate equivalent, which includes a research project). The University of Cape Town follows NARIC guidelines on equivalency of international degrees. Prospective students should check whether their existing degree qualifies for entry.
2. English Language Proficiency requirements:
The medium of instruction and examination at UCT is English. You must submit evidence of proficiency in English as part of your application to study at UCT. These include any of the following:
For South African applicants, either:
- A pass in English Home Language or First Additional Language if you hold the NSC, or
- 40% In English on the Higher Grade (first or second language) if you hold the Senior Certificate
For international applicants:
A recent TOEFL score (obtained within 3-5 years before application for admission) of at least
- 570 for the paper-based test or
- 230 for the computer-based test or
- 88 for the Internet-based test
A recent overall band score of 7.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0
A score of 65% or more for the Academic Literacy component of the NBT.