The Marine Research Institute is looking for an enthusiastic young communications assistant to contribute to the international project AtlantECO.
You will assist the scientists in communicating the aims and results of the project through the official websites and social media channels. This will be done in direct contact with the international team working on ocean literacy projects across the partnering countries. You will have an interest in marine sciences and an aptitude for communicating scientific results to a broad South African audience, including the preparation of audiovisual material in one of the official African languages.
Opportunities for continuation of this work through a funded postgraduate degree at UCT will be considered for suitable candidates.
- Application Deadline: 22 December 2020
- Duration of the post: 6 months (extendable to 1 year)
- Expected starting date: mid-January 2021 (negotiable)
- Time commitment: 2-3 days a week (distributed over the week)
- Salary: R6000-R7000 p/m
- South African Nationals or Permanent Residents
- Speaking and writing at least one official South African language (other than English and Afrikaans)
- High interest in Marine Sciences and in Communications (outreach)
- Passionate about transferring knowledge
- Being outgoing and social
Applications are accepted from undergraduate and postgraduate students who have completed their degrees or who are currently registered at any South African university (from 2nd year undergraduate to Master’s level). No specific background is required. A background in environmental sciences and/or environmental humanities will be considered a plus.
To apply, please complete the form here.